Monday, September 9, 2013

Mischief

Rogue got the best of me on Friday.  Just as I do as a parent from time to time, I needed to take a timeout.

I got home after a long week of work and walked in to find Rogue waiting at the door, waging her tail.  She had been home for about 2 hours after Jodi had left and was free to roam during that time.  We've had mixed results with this, but ultimately, it is our goal for her to have free roam, like Ike does, during the day.

Friday was an exhausting day, and we had plans that night to attend a picnic and then the High School Football game.  I was thinking that I could sneak in about 30 minutes of calm silence before the kids got home and before we started our busy night.  Rogue had other plans.

I walked into the kitchen to look for Rogue damage, something I do each time we get home.  It looked fine, but then I realized I was stepping in something.  White.  It was sugar.  Where did that come from?  I didn't see the sugar anywhere on the counter.  Maybe someone spilled it this morning...

As I walked into the living room, I realized that it wasn't "someone" that spilled the sugar.  It was Rogue.  It seems that we left a brand new 5# bag of sugar on the counter after making coffee in the morning...and Rogue found it.

My living room looked like a really bad 1970s party.

This is when I knew I needed a timeout.  I think Rogue sensed it too.  I didn't say anything, but I am sure my body language did.  I walked to the bathroom, said "In" and Rogue bolted into the bathroom.  I closed the door and sat down.

Sometimes, just like with children, you need to remove yourself from a situation and allow yourself to relax a little.  Five pounds of sugar all over my living room qualified as an event that needed such restraint.

It wasn't terrible to clean up.  The shop vac, Kirby and carpet shampooer were all in reach and in about 15 minutes the mess was cleaned....but Rogue stayed in the bathroom a bit longer.  While I never yelled, when I opened the door to the bathroom, Rogue stayed put...for about 5 more minutes.

Of course, the lesson learned is that nothing is out of reach.  This morning when leaving the house, I walked around at least 3 times to look for anything that she might get into today.  I wonder what I missed?

 
"After the thieves broke in and dumped this sugar everywhere, I chased them off!"

No comments:

Post a Comment